Please read here to find out more about price changes
Call now Book online


As a thank you for booking with D4Drivers, we’ve created D4Discounts. Access exclusive discounts from our partners including FitBit, TomTom and many more.

The agricultural world and driver medicals

The Shropshire County Show opened its gates once again at the West Mid Showground last month – and we were pleased to support them.

We work with a number of workers from the agricultural world and as younger farmers and agricultural workers step behind the wheel there are changes in terms of requirements from their predecessors.

Agricultural workers driving vehicles

For those who passed their driving test before 1997 there was no requirement for a medical to drive a vehicle under 7.5 tonnes, but those who took their driving test in or after 1997 face different rules.

Those workers driving livestock lorries or any vehicle over 7.5 tonnes, need to obtain a C category licence in any case, and therefore need a medical to obtain that licence.

Younger drivers require an additional licence

But if the vehicle being driven is between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes, those taking their test after 1996 will also be required to obtain a further licence, and therefore a medical, as they will not be entitled to drive it under their car licence.

Driving tests taken in or prior to 1996:

  • C1/D1 automatically on licence with a C1 covering up to 7.5 tonnes.

Driving tests taken in or after 1997:

  • Category B car licence covering up to 3.5 tonnes.

It means that it is usually the younger agricultural workers who will need to pass a medical to obtain their C1 or D1 licence and drive vehicles from 3.5 tonnes and upwards.


When you pass your driving test you automatically receive entitlements to drive agricultural tractors.

Advice and information

The majority of young people will be advised of their need to obtain a licence as they train, but as much of the farming community hand down through the family there are some businesses that may not realise an extra licence is needed.

For more information or advice about whether your employees will require a medical and licence do get in touch.